Description of a Samoyed
Appearance and Size
- Ranging from 21 to 23 ½ inches from pad to withers, males are taller than their female counterparts while both genders have a undercoat that is soft and thick with a longer outercoat covering a muscular body. The preferred coat color is pure white, though they do come in cream to biscuit colors.
- Samoyeds have dark almond shaped eyes filled with intelligence. These devoted canines adapt quickly to family life. They are playful and can be perfect playmates for children.
- Blessed with a life span of 12 to 15 years, Samoyeds are very sociable animals, but need supervision when around non-canine animals.
- Like many large breeds, Samoyeds are prone to hip dysplasia. Diabetes development and skin allergies are valid concerns. Hot climates can cause health problems for these thick coated dogs.
- Samoyeds do not need a large home and yard to reside in as long as they have sufficient exercise.