How to Replace the Ignition Coil in a Chevy TrailBlazer
- 1). Remove the negative battery cable from the negative battery terminal using a wrench. Set the cable aside so it is isolated from the battery.
- 2). Locate the ignition coil on the top of the passenger's side of the engine, about halfway up the engine block. Disconnect the wiring connectors on the side of the coil. Disconnect the coil wire. The wiring connectors and coil wire should simply pull straight out.
- 3). Remove the nuts securing the ignition coil and bracket to the engine using a wrench or socket and ratchet and remove the studs.
- 4). Drill out the rivets securing the coil to the mounting bracket. Remove the bracket and coil from the engine compartment. The new coil will include nuts and bolts to secure the new coil to the bracket.
- 5). Secure the new coil to the bracket using the nuts and bolts included with the coil kit. Connect the coil and bracket assembly to the engine using the studs and nuts. Torque the nuts to 20 foot-pounds with a torque wrench.
- 6). Reconnect the coil wire and the wiring connectors on the side of the ignition coil. Reconnect the negative battery cable then test the ignition coil by starting the vehicle.